Sunday, May 17, 2009

Japanese Inspired



I made this kimono dress some time ago, but it hasn't had a lot of wear. Every time she wears it, I obsess over the uneven gathering at the back of the dress. I don't know how I managed to mess up the gathering at the waist, but after adding elastic and reinforced seams, I really don't think I'll ever get around to pulling it apart to fix it. Being a perfectionist when it comes to these things, I also can't imagine I'll ever get over it. It's just one of those things that drives me nuts! In an attempt to cover up the offending seam and avoid the inevitable anxiety that this one little mistake causes me, I added a ribbon today and decided it really must be worn!

We were en-route to the gallery when we made a last minute decision to spend the lovely Autumn afternoon at the park instead. It turns out that a kimono with cream tights is not exactly practical when sliding, climbing and falling into piles of tanbark, but really, when is a kimono and cream tights really practical on a toddler?

Lucky I had my camera in the boot of my car and was able to capture a little bit of the messy fun.






The Kimono Dress was made with a pattern from Amy Butler's 'Little Stitches for Little Ones'. I absolutely adore everything about this book - the spiral binding, the photographs (especially the insanely beautiful babies!), the gorgeous fabrics, lovely toy, accessory and clothing designs and the simple patterns with super easy to follow instructions. There is so much to love about this book!



2 comments:

  1. I think the kimono top looks really cute! I have heard good things about the AB book, but my kids have outgrown the pattern sizes in the book unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame the patterns only go up to 12 months. That being said, my daughter is almost 2 and that kimono dress was a 6-9 month size!

    ReplyDelete